Our Mission

Virginia Tech PREP (Post-baccalaureate Research and Education Program) is for students interested in pursuing a research career in behavioral/biomedical sciences and engineering.  VT-PREP supports students through individualized mentoring, foundation coursework, innovative research, and professional development essential to success in graduate school and competitive doctoral programs.

This program lasts 12-months. Scholars spend 75 percent of their time in a mentored research program. Undergraduate and/or graduate course work occupies the remaining 25 percent of the scholar’s time. We provide academic seminars, technical workshops, graduate school preparation, and a GRE preparation program.

Who We Are

Five of Virginia Tech's colleges, several institutes, and over 50 individuals participate to create the research and mentoring opportunities that VT-PREP offers. We are proud to partner with the College of Engineering, the College or Agriculture and Life Sciences, the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, the College of Science, and the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine.

VT-PREP is supported by the National Institutes of Health through the National Institute of General Medical Sciences. Virginia Tech PREP is in its fourteenth year. Since inception, 96 scholars have participated in the program. 80 percent of our PREP scholars go on to pursue a Ph.D. in their field of study. 28 VT-PREP scholars have earned a Ph.D. in science.

Our Goals

  • We seek to identify and train the next generation of innovators in biomedical and behavioral sciences.
  • We create opportunities for early exposure and rigorous academic preparation for under-represented student groups.
  • We help scholars define career goals and research interests.
  • We develop professional skills essential to succeeding in graduate school and achieving career goals.
  • We prepare students to enter graduate programs through sustained academic support, career development, and research.

Benefits

  • Each scholar receives a $27,000 annual stipend, plus benefits.
  • Tuition Scholarships are included in the program.
  • Travel support to attend or present at a scientific meeting is provided. There is potential for travel money to attend a training workshop.
  • Scholars develop competence and experience in their scientific field of interest.
  • Scholars experience social and academic diversity that facilitates success.
Virginia Tech PREP Icon

Contact

PREP Program Office
2250 Litton-Reaves Hall
Blacksburg, VA 24061
call: 540-231-6797
fax: 540-231-3010
e-mail: vtprep@vt.edu